Dr Crystal Cheong is a consultant in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, National University Hospital and Ng Teng Fong General Hospital, where she helms the sleep subspecialty clinic within the department. She was awarded the Health Manpower Development Plan Fellowship in 2020. She completed the ACGME fellowship in Sleep Medicine and Sleep Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania, United States of America, in 2022, which has served her well in addressing both the medical and surgical aspects of a wide range of sleep disorders. Her passion lies in providing holistic and patient-centred care for sleep conditions such as obstructive sleep apnoea.
She graduated from Monash University, Australia, and proceeded on to become a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh) in 2011. She obtained her Master of Medicine (Otolaryngology) in 2014, before receiving specialist accreditation in Otolaryngology in 2017.
Dr Cheong is also a clinical lecturer with the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore.
1. Teo JY, Cheong CS, Wong CY. Low local recurrence rates in young Asian patients with phyllodes tumours: less is more. ANZ J Surg. 2012 May;82(5):325-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1445-2197.2012.06045.x. Epub 2012 Mar 27. PMID: 22507352
2. Cheong CS, Tan LM, Ngo RY. Clinical audit of the microbiology of otorrhoea referred to a tertiary hospital in Singapore. Singapore Med J. 2012 Apr;53(4):244-8. PMID: 22511046
3. Ng JH, Ho RC, Cheong CS, Ng A, Yuen HW, Ngo RY. Intratympanic steroids as a salvage treatment for sudden sensorineural hearing loss? A meta-analysis. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2015 Oct;272(10):2777-82. doi: 10.1007/s00405-014-3288-8. Epub 2014 Sep 13. PMID: 25217083
4. Pek CH, Cheong CS, Yap YL, Doggett S, Lim TC, Ong WC, Lim J. Rare Cause of Facial Palsy: Case Report of Tick Paralysis by Ixodes Holocyclus Imported by a Patient Travelling into Singapore from Australia. J Emerg Med. 2016 Nov;51(5):e109-e114. doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2016.02.031. Epub 2016 Sep 9. PMID: 27618477
5. Kwon Y, Logan J, Pusalavidyasagar S, Kasai T, Cheong CS, Lee CH. Sleep Apnea and Heart . Sleep Med Res. 2019 Dec;10(2):67-74. doi: 10.17241/smr.2019.00493. Epub 2019 Dec 31. PMID: 32699652
6. Cheong CS, Loke W, Thong MKT, Toh ST, Lee CH. The Emerging Role of Drug-Induced Sleep Endoscopy in the Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol. 2020 Oct 16. doi: 10.21053/ceo.2020.01704. Online ahead of print. PMID: 3309231
7. Cheong CS, Aung AT, Wong RC, Yeo TJ, Chan SP, Lee CH. Obstructive sleep apnea during acute coronary syndrome is related to myocardial necrosis and wall stress. Sleep Med. 2021 Mar;79:79-82. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2021.01.006. Epub 2021 Jan 6. PMID: 33482456